Monday 3 October 2011

Me on the Map

L got the book Me On The Map by Joan Sweeney last year for her birthday.  We have both enjoyed reading it together as well as doing activities to go along with it.  L has mapped out her bedroom and pointed out our province on the map of Canada as well as our continent on the globe.

 When I saw this fantastic idea on Counting Coconuts a while back I knew we had to make one for ourselves.
I started off making six circles out of craft foam using a compass.
 I found almost all of the images on Google Images.  L colored this picture of the Earth and then stuck the stars on for space.
 I traced the continent onto orange paper and L pin punched it out.

 For my province we talked about different things we see and do here.  I printed off the images and L colored them.
We also did circles for my town and my house.  I took pictures of L by different places and then printed them out.
Once all the circles were completed I punched a hole in the top of them and put a ring through them.
I really love this activity.  It's a great way for children to narrow down their place on the map and also a wonderful keepsake.  Thanks again Counting Coconuts for the great idea!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

That is really cool. My 3 year old son has shown interest in maps, now and then. I am going to save this activity in my head for the next time he shows interest.

In the meantime, I wanted to recommend another book on this topic: My First Canadian World Atlas, put out by Tony Potter Publishing Ltd. We have it, and it is a delightful blend of world geography, history and culture.

Related Posts with Thumbnails