Monday 13 December 2010

Our second week of advent calendar activities

Wow things have been pretty hectic around here the last little while.  It took me a while to be able to even remember what we did this past week!  We have our house on the market and have an offer accepted on another house so it's all systems go around here.
We have been able to make time for our Christmas activities thankfully although they have to be carefully tidied up and put away as soon as we're finished : )

Day 6
"make Christmas cards"
I saw this super cute idea on Chasing Cheerios last year and wanted to use it for our Christmas cards this year.  I painted L's hand and the little trooper did about 25 of these!!

 Day 7
"Look on the stool in the bathroom"
Cute puzzle from the dollar store(Mommy needed a break!)
 Day 8
"Look on doll's bed"
Making Christmas tree ice cubes for our drinks at dinner.
 Day 9
"make Christmas presents"
This is another idea I saw last year on Chasing Cheerios.  She made these pipe cleaner snowflakes and soaked them in a borax and water solution over night forming beautiful crystals.  I didn't want to use borax so I found another site on the Internet saying to use Epsom salts instead.  I made the snowflakes(L was more interested in making letters and spelling peoples names out of the pipe cleaners)and put them in the Epsom salt solution over night but sadly I had no luck.  Has anyone else tried this with a non-toxic substance with positive results?
 Day 10
"make a candle holder"
We actually prepared this while it was still snowy.  L collected some greenery from outside and then arranged them in the bunt pan.
 She then covered them with water and we put it in the freezer and we forgot about it until day 10.
 We ran the bunt pan under some warm water until the ice came out and then put it outside with a candle in the middle.  It turned out so beautifully and the picture really doesn't do it justice.  If it was colder here I would love do have one for each day of our advent calendar.  I saw this idea somewhere on the Internet last year and have seen different ones popping up all over the blogshpere this year.  They are gorgeous.
 Day 11
"See the Christmas lights and make pizza with E and S"
On Saturday night we had friends over and Daddy made his special pizza.  We all braved the rain and cold to see the "magical woods" in our town all lit up like a fairy wonderland.  Santa was even there!  A very special night for everyone.
 Day 12
On this day L actually had cute little Christmas tree hair ties in her calendar pocket but these were to wear on our trip to the mainland to see Grandpa.  We also went to see the gingerbread house competition which was amazing.  This little gnome wonderland won first place.  It was unbelievable!

Phew we made it through another week!

6 comments:

The girl who painted trees said...

We used Borax last year. If there's a way to do it without Borax, that would be much better. Since she didn't touch the Borax solution or the finished snowflakes, I figured it was okay.

Fiona said...

Great ideas! We are moving house at the minute too! Is it as complicated in the US as it is here in England

Olives and Pickles said...

super cool ideas!!Thank you for sharing them.

Elle Belles Bows said...

The handprint Santas are just too cute!! Kerri

jess said...

Gorgeous! I love how all your activities are quite simple and lovely - I could imagine doing something like this for Little Bird next year. i see some advent activities and just thinks they are way to over the top and ridiculous for me to even consider , but seeing yours make daily activities seem less scary. So simple and sweet.

I love the ice candle holder - gonna have to steal that one for one day here - would melt if did it now tho!

And YAYYYYY! congrats re the house! So excited for you all. Big hugs and hope not toooo crazy with all that going on. xx

Jess

Andrea said...

I have tried 3 times now to get my pipecleaner snowflakes to work with no luck. I used borox though.... I think I must be missing a step? anyway I hope you can get it to work for you guys.
Love the ice holder too!
~Jada Roo Can Do

Related Posts with Thumbnails