Wee Folk Art recently posted this video on their Facebook page on how to make a driftwood xylophone.
It was a nobrainer that we HAD to try this out.
A few weekends ago L, Daddy and I went to the beach and tested out pieces of driftwood to see if they were resonant. We collected them and lay them across two large logs. Once we played them we sorted them out according to pitch putting the lowest at one end and the highest at the other.
Here is L rockin' out on our driftwood xylophone! It sounded just like the one in the video!
I collected a few more pieces and we did this for music class this afternoon and made a huge xylophone with rolled up beach towels to go along with our study of African music.