One thing we've been doing quite a lot is cutting up and eating cantaloupe. As we were sitting down to eat it one day I got to thinking how many skills L is refining with the whole process so I decided to make a list...
- getting her apron out of the drawer and washing her hands
- after I've sliced the cantaloupe into cutable pieces and taken off the rind L cuts the long bits into small pieces practicing her cutting skills now with a relatively sharp knife
- sorting the pieces of cantaloupe and the rind into separate bowls
- putting the bowl of rinds into the compost, learning about recycling and composting
- putting the bowl of cantaloupe onto the table
- washing down the counter with a cloth and washing her hands again
- taking off her apron and putting it back into the drawer
- setting the table for a snack
- dishing out pieces of cantaloupe using a serving spoon into her bowl(not as easy as it sounds those things are slippery!)
- eating the yummy fruit and having wonderful conversation with her family
- clearing the table and putting the dishes in the dishwasher
- wiping down the table
Whew sounds like a lot when you write it all down! It's quite amazing really how a fruit can be do delicious and such a learning tool at the same time.