Tuesday 27 April 2010

Snack time

I've been wanting to set up an area for L to get her own snacks for a long time now. I finally got around to getting the containers. L has four choices which will change every week or so. This week it's dried cranberries, hemp granola, cashew nuts with raisins or an apple.

L takes the snack container of her choice to her table then the measuring cup and a little bowl. She puts enough in to fill the bowl then puts the lid back on and replaces the container.

I'm amazed at how well this is working. I think she absolutely loves the fact that this is all her responsibility. She can get whichever snack, whenever she wants and has the control. Interestingly enough she only gets them out at her usual snack time and doesn't ever take too much. Basically she doesn't abuse it at all and always puts everything back where it's supposed to go(unlike in other areas). We are however still working on her sitting at the table the whole time until she is finished. I tell her once you get up that tells me that you are done and if she gets up I take the snack away. This has led to some serious hissy fits but I'm hoping she'll get the idea soon.
I'm also trying to figure out how and where to keep out some water for her to help herself to but haven't found a space or appropriate container yet.


6 comments:

Counting Coconuts said...

I'm going to re-do our snack area now after seeing this! I have to keep everything in the fridge because of ants.
Here's the pitcher I bought for James: http://www.montessoriservices.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4423_114_208_1502
Yes, it is glass, but it's just the right size and it has a cover, too. We've had it for months and it's never been dropped once. :)

Anonymous said...

For water, we found these little pitchers that are supposed to be for maple syrup in the kitchen aisle of either walm&rt or t&rget (I can't remember which one). They are small, glass, and the lid has a little button you press to open the spout. My 3 year old can use it easily, yet if it spills, there is probably only 10 or so ounces of liquid in it. :) We either keep it out at the snack area for her, or put it on the low shelf in the fridge where she can reach it.

Lilymm04 said...

Thank you for sharing my son is younger but we are working on sitting at the table too he just lives to walk around with his snacks maybe as he gets older he will get it

The girl who painted trees said...

Bear gets her own oatmeal ready in the morning. She gets everything from the cupboard and measures, then I put the hot water in a tiny creamer and she pours that. She's NEVER spilled that or burned herself. We have a small pitcher I found at a grocery store for her cold water. She can open the fridge herself and pours herself water.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it awesome how a little bit of effort from adults can be rewarded by a whole lot of independence from the children? As for the getting up bit, have you sat down to have snack with her? Sometimes, modeling is the best solution.

Lisa C said...

This is a great idea!

Related Posts with Thumbnails