Sunday 19 September 2010

Polishing Silver

L was helping my mom clean out the cutlery drawer when they came upon her old spoon collection.  What a great opportunity to practice polishing some silver!
We used two types of polish.  Sensodyne toothpaste in one bowl and a baking soda and water paste in the other.
Here L is working hard scrubbing with the baking soda solution.
Rinse and dry with the tea towel.
I liked the toothpaste best and L liked the baking soda.  I think they were both equally effective.
A rare bloggy sighting of the spotted owl...I mean mommy!
Ahh polishing silver is so rewarding.  I love to see the spoons go from black and tarnished to shiny and sparkly!

5 comments:

The girl who painted trees said...

I think I have a silver cake tray from my wedding. I'll have to try this with Bear this week. I've been meaning to do some type of polishing work.

Joyfulmama said...

Thanks for this idea. Many Montessori books mention silver polishing as a good practical life exercise, but for some reason I have never thought of trying it before. My mom also cleared out her cutlery drawers a while ago and gave my daughter a bag full of tarnished silver spoons. I've been meaning to polish it for use in her play kitchen, but seeing how much fun you've had, I will let her do it instead.

On a different note, I was a day late in discovering that September 18 was National Play Dough Day there in the States, so I'm playing catch-up on my blog and have declared this coming Thursday Joyful Mama's Play Dough Day. Would love for you to join in. You can find more information here http://joyfulmamasplace.blogspot.com/2010/09/oh-to-play-with-dough.html

Olives and Pickles said...

Thanks for sharing..I love this activity,we polished some coins last time with C. I like the difference after finishing..so shiny!

Unknown said...

Great activity! I am going to have to put this work on the shelf. Thanks for the idea, and Thank you for sharing.

carine said...

Hi!
How do you do your polishing solution with water and baking soda? Could you keep the solution in a jar and use it later? I would like to try it in our school. I don't want to buy a chemical polishing as some children still put stuff in their mouth!
Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails